Modification of Child Support

Family Law Attorneys - Oregon Divorce Lawyers

Harris Law Firm

Modifications of Support or Parenting Time

Sometimes after a judgment of dissolution or legal separation has been entered by the court, the parties may want to change some aspect of the judgment. This is called a Modification. Usually, a property settlement cannot be modified after the final judgment is entered by the court. Things that are commonly modifiable are: child custody and parenting time visitation, child support, and spousal support.

Grounds For Modification of Support or Parenting Time

In order to modify child custody, child support, or spousal support, the moving party must show that there has been a substantial, unanticipated change in circumstances since entry of the last judgment. Some common changes are: 1) For Child Custody: gross moral misconduct of custodial parent, custodial parent's neglect or endangerment of the child, de facto custody by non-custodial parent, improvement in the situation of the non-custodial parent, move by the custodial parent, failure of joint custody and the wishes of the child. 2) For Child Support: physical custody of the child has changed, the child's needs have changed, or the income of one or both parents has changed. 3) For Spousal Support: change in income of one or both parties, the increased need of obligee or the lack of reasonable efforts by obligee to become self-supporting.

Acting In The Child's Best Interest

The modification of parenting time does not require a showing of a substantial, unanticipated change in circumstances. All that is required is for the moving party to show that the modification would be in the child's best interests. Oregon stipulates that the court "...shall recognize the value of close contact with both parents and encourage, when practicable, joint responsibility for the welfare of such children and extensive contact between the minor children of the divided marriage and the parties

Requesting A Modification - Spousal Support & Parenting Time

Generally, the party that wants a modification must file a motion and supporting affidavit with the court where the last judgment was entered. The exception to this requirement is if the support award is being managed by the Oregon Child Support Program, a party can apply to the state to modify.

Speak with experienced, trusted, highly rated, and qualified Oregon Divorce Attorneys by calling 503-648-4777 Today.

Contact Us Today For Help - Free Phone Interview

Contact our lawyers today so we can begin working towards a favorable solution to your legal concerns. Call us, or email us today. We also offer a free telephone interview if you’re not yet ready to hire an attorney.

Call 503-648-4777

Amy Velazquez

Amy Velazquez

Lawyer Bio | Email
James King

James King

Lawyer Bio | Email

Schedule A Case Review

Call during business hours for the quickest response. Or, complete this contact form and we will be in touch with you within one business day.

Oregon Divorce Lawyers | Oregon Adoption Attorney | Alimony Lawyer | Child Custody Attorney | Portland Divorce Lawyers | Domestic Partnership Attorney | Legal Separation Lawyer | Modifications of Support Attorney | Parenting Time Visitation Lawyer | Prenuptial Agreement Lawyer | Property Settlements Attorney