Samuel W. Asbury
Samuel W. Asbury165 SE 26th Avenue
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
Telephone: (503) 648-4777
Facsimile: (503) 648-0989
Immigration is the field in which I decided to develop my expertise. After working briefly for an immigration attorney in downtown Portland after law school, I started a private practice in 1996. I have handled some employment-based immigration matters, but my primary focus is family immigration, asylum, deportation defense, and all levels of appeals. I am an active member of American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and have been a volunteer mentor to other attorneys within AILA for many years. My experience in military command and other leadership roles and extensive military studies has helped me to hone my skills building and managing a busy immigration law practice.
I have always actively served my community and my nation. I served the city in which I reside as its Municipal Court Judge and as Chairman of the Planning Commission. After being commissioned as a U.S. Navy Officer in 1988, I served on the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Nimitz during Operation Desert Storm before going to law school and continuing my Navy career as a Reserve Officer. Since then, I was recalled to active duty for a tour in Kuwait and, more recently, a tour in Tampa on the staff of the general in charge of all military operations in the Middle East. I enjoy gardening, home remodeling and decoration, weight lifting, racquetball, swimming, gourmet cooking, and wines.
How I Serve My Clients
I am a problem solver experienced in both the strategy and tactics of immigration matters. I assess cases through a combination of legal analysis and a holistic understanding of my clients’ needs. I maintain personal contact with clients, and, when necessary, work with experts in other fields to address non-immigration issues needing resolution.
Areas of Practice:
- Private practice since 1996
- Fairview Municipal Court Judge (2005-2009)
- Of Counsel, Harris Law Firm (2012-present)
- State of Oregon
- Oregon Federal District Court
- Courts of Appeals for the Fifth and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
- J.D., cum laude, Gonzaga University School of Law (1995). Associate Editor, Law Review
- Diploma, Joint Forces Staff College, National Defense University (2009)
- Diploma, Commanding Officer Leadership Course (2007)
- Master of Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College (2005)
- Diploma, U.S. Navy College of Command & Staff (1998)
- B.A., Political Science and Naval Science, Oregon State University (1988). With High Scholarship. Honors Program