My practice is focused on defending and counseling individuals in the field of criminal law. My legal experience began as a law student where I clerked for the Oregon Department of Justice and later for a private law firm in downtown Portland. During my final year of law school, I was certified by the Oregon Supreme Court to represent clients in court hearings and even conduct jury trials in criminal cases. Drawing on my abilities as a fluent Spanish-speaker, I was privileged to represent many Spanish-speaking clients during this experience.
Following law school graduation, I worked as a full-time judicial clerk to the Hon. Angel Lopez of the Multnomah County Circuit Court. This opportunity gave me a front-row seat to observe and learn from the many skilled attorneys who frequently appeared for hearings in Multnomah County.
After my clerkship with Judge Lopez, I began my career in private practice. Now, as an attorney for the Harris VelÃ¡zquez Gibbens, I use my experience and expertise for the benefit of my clients. I have represented numerous individuals in criminal cases in over 25 jurisdictions throughout the state. My diverse clientele has included doctors, landscapers, real estate agents, engineers, factory workers, truck drivers, and teachers in cases ranging from traffic infractions to major felonies. Many clients have retained me to assist with expungements and felony reductions (two of my favorite parts of the job). I have also enjoyed working with hundreds of Spanish-speaking clients who have entrusted me with their cases. I receive great satisfaction in helping clients who would prefer to communicate with their lawyer in their native Spanish language.
Whatever my clientâ€™s background, I endeavor to achieve the best possible result for each of my clients. I understand that facing criminal charges is a stressful experience. The outcomes of criminal cases can have consequences that last a lifetime, and I never lose sight of that fact. I believe the work I do matters to my clients, and that is why I am committed to giving each case my very best effort.
On a personal note, I am married and the father of two children. When not in the office I enjoy spending time with my family playing, swimming, camping, hiking, and participating actively in our church. I also enjoy racquetball, basketball, and following professional and collegiate sports, especially my undergraduate alma mater, Brigham Young University.
- J.D., Willamette University College of Law, 2009
- B.A., Brigham Young University (Political Science major; Spanish minor), 2006
- I have been honored by Super Lawyers magazine for 4 consecutive years as a Rising Star.
- I am a fluent Spanish-speaker having completed a two-year Spanish-speaking mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in New Jersey.
- As a college student, I worked as a research assistant for Dr. Kendall Stiles, a respected professor of international law and political science. He and I co-authored a scholarly paper that was eventually published in the political science journal Cooperation and Conflict.
- As part of my undergraduate studies, I completed internships in Washington, D.C. (legal office) and Edinburgh, Scotland (Scottish Parliament).
- Fun fact: a former client, happy with the results in her case, named her first-born son Adam.
Contact Adam Thayne
165 SE 26th Avenue
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
Tel: (503) 648-4777
Fax: (503) 648-0989
Robert J. Harris
Amy N. VelÃ¡zquez
M. Casey Gibbens
Terisa Page Gault
Aaron B.D. Martin
James A. Underwood