"Best lawyer I personally have hired! "
I couldn't thank Amy enough for her efforts and time! Best lawyer I personally have hired! Absolutely love!
It is thanks to Amy and her team that I enjoy freedom today.
"An Intelligent and Hard Working Professional"
Amy is an intelligent and hard working professional and I was delighted to have her immense talents on my case.
Amy was very knowledgeable, bringing several ideas and options to the discussion that I had not thought of.
I first began to explore a career in the legal field during college. I sought out positions that would provide me with a background and experience in the law. I first volunteered as a victim advocate through the Lane County District Attorney's Office in Eugene at the Child Advocacy Center. I then clerked for a law firm in Portland serving primarily Spanish-speaking clients in Personal Injury and Workers Compensation cases. Enjoying the experience of serving those in need, I focused on family, criminal and immigration law while in law school. During law school, I clerked for the Oregon Department of Justice in their Family Law Section and also served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Michael H. Bennett for the U.S. Department of Justice at the Portland Immigration Court.
Prior to joining Harris Velázquez Gibbens in 2005, I was employed by the Oregon Judicial Department as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Cynthia D. Carlson at the Lane County Circuit Court in Eugene.
I am comfortable in the courtroom and effectively argue cases to both judges and juries. I manage criminal cases ranging from minor misdemeanors to major felonies. I frequently handle cases with overlapping family and criminal law issues such as Restraining Orders (FAPA) and Stalking Protective Orders (Civil and Criminal). I have experience litigating cases in courts throughout the greater metro area. In January 2014, I was approved by Oregon Supreme Court to serve as a pro tempore judge in the circuit court for the state of Oregon. I currently hear contested restraining order matters for the Washington County Circuit Court.
I was a member of the Washington County Bar Association Board of Directors from 2010 – 2016. I served as the President for 2013-2014 and Secretary of the organization for 2014 – 2016. I assisted in the reorganization of the Washington County Bench/Bar committee in 2012. In addition to my membership in several legal related organizations, I served on the Washington County Public Safety Coordinating Council from 2008 – 2015 and as a Project Manager on the School Board for Arco Iris Spanish Immersion School in Beaverton from 2015 – 2016.
During my free time, I enjoy spending time with my husband and two daughters, cooking for others and entertaining/event planning, traveling and reading.
- Oregon Department of Justice - Family Law Section, Law Clerk (2002 - 2003);
- U.S. Department of Justice - Portland Immigration Court, Judicial Intern (2003);
- Oregon Judicial Department - Lane County Circuit Court, Judicial Clerk (2004 - 2005);
- Harris Velázquez Gibbens – Associate Attorney (2005 - 2010);
- Harris Velázquez Gibbens – Shareholder (2010 – Present).
- State of Oregon
- J.D., Willamette University College of Law, 2004. Moot Court Board Member.
- B.A. (Administration of Justice, with Honors), Portland State University, 2001
- Amy speaks Spanish fluently.
- She is a member of the Oregon State Bar Family Law Section, Washington County Bar Association, Oregon Minority Lawyers Association and the Oregon Hispanic Bar Association.
- She was selected as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers in 2009, 2015 and 2016, and as a Super Lawyer for 2017.
- She has presented a Continuing Legal Education course for the Oregon State Bar, Oregon New Lawyers Division – Everything You Need to Know About Family Law as a Young Lawyer: Pre-judgment Motions for Temporary Remedies, May 2014