Practice AreasCriminal Law, Portland DUII Attorney, Oregon Divorce Lawyers, Alimony Lawyer, Child Custody Attorney, Portland Divorce Lawyers, Domestic Partnership Attorney, Legal Separation Lawyer, Modifications of Support Attorney, Parenting Time Visitation Lawyer, Property Settlements Attorney
I first began to explore a career in the legal field during college. I sought out positions that would provide me with a background and experience in the law. I enjoyed volunteering as a victim advocate through the Lane County District Attorney’s Office in Eugene at the Child Advocacy Center. I then clerked for a Personal Injury and Workers Compensation law firm in Portland serving primarily Spanish-speaking clients. Appreciating the opportunity to serve those in need, I focused on family, criminal and immigration while pursuing my law degree. During law school, I was a law clerk at the Oregon Department of Justice in their Family Law Section and also served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Michael H. Bennett for the U.S. Department of Justice at the Portland Immigration Court.
Prior to joining Harris Velázquez Gibbens in 2005, I was employed by the Oregon Judicial Department as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Cynthia D. Carlson at the Lane County Circuit Court in Eugene. I became a partner and shareholder with the firm in 2010 and am now the managing partner of our Family Law team.
I am comfortable in the courtroom and effectively argue cases to both judges and juries. I manage criminal cases ranging from minor misdemeanors to major felonies. I frequently handle cases with overlapping family and criminal law issues such as Restraining Orders (FAPA) and Stalking Protective Orders (Civil and Criminal). I have experience litigating cases in courts throughout the greater metro area. In January 2014, I was approved by Oregon Supreme Court to serve as a pro tempore judge in the circuit court for the state of Oregon. I currently hear contested restraining order matters for the Washington County Circuit Court and have handled judicial settlement conferences for family law matters. Seeing a need for services, in 2021, I expanded my practice to include family law mediation and parent coordination matters.
During my free time, I enjoy spending time with my husband and two daughters, cooking and entertaining, event planning, and traveling to sunny climates.
• Oregon Department of Justice – Family Law Section, Law Clerk (2002 – 2003);
• U.S. Department of Justice – Portland Immigration Court, Judicial Intern (2003);
• Oregon Judicial Department – Lane County Circuit Court, Judicial Clerk (2004 – 2005);
• Harris Velázquez Gibbens (formerly Harris Law Firm) – Associate Attorney (2005 – 2010);
• Harris Velázquez Gibbens – Shareholder (2010 – Present).
- State of Oregon
- J.D., Willamette University College of Law, 2004. Moot Court Board Member.
- B.A. (Administration of Justice, with Honors), Portland State University, 2001
• Was raised in a bilingual/bicultural household and speak Spanish fluently
• Member of the Oregon State Bar Family Law Section, Washington County Bar Association, Oregon Minority Lawyers Association and the Oregon Hispanic Bar Association
• Author (update 2021), Oregon State Bar Legal Publications, Family Law in Oregon; Enforcement Chapter
• Selected as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers in 2009, 2015 and 2016, and as a Super Lawyer for 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021
• Group leader for Lewis & Clark Law School’s Criminal Mock Trial class for 2020 and 2021
• Volunteer attorney monitor for Flores v. Sessions compliance at US Customs and Border Patrol Stations in 2019
• Arco Iris Spanish Immersion Charter School, School Board project manager 2014-2016, auction committee member 2016 – 2020
• Presenter for Continuing Legal Education; Oregon State Bar, Oregon New Lawyers Division – Everything You Need to Know About Family Law as a Young Lawyer: Pre-judgment Motions for Temporary Remedies, 2014
• Washington County Public Safety Coordinating Counsel, voting member 2008 – 2014
Contact Amy Velázquez
Harris Velázquez Gibbens, P.C.
165 SE 26th Avenue
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
Phone: (503) 648-4777
Fax: (503) 648-0989