Modification of Child Support

Call (503) 648-4777
to talk to an attorney.

Modifications of Support or Parenting Time

Sometimes after a judgment of dissolution, custody or legal separation has been entered by the court, the parties may want to change some aspect of the judgment. This is called a Modification. Usually, a property settlement cannot be modified after the final judgment is entered by the court, however child child custody and parenting time visitation, child support, and spousal support can be modified.

Grounds For Modification of Support or Parenting Time

In order to modify child custody, child support, or spousal support, the moving party must show that there has been a substantial, unanticipated change in circumstances since entry of the last judgment. Some common changes are: 1) For Child Custody: gross moral misconduct of custodial parent, custodial parent's neglect or endangerment of the child, de facto custody by non-custodial parent, improvement in the situation of the non-custodial parent, move by the custodial parent, failure of joint custody and the wishes of the child. 2) For Child Support: physical custody of the child has changed, the child's needs have changed, or the income of one or both parents has changed. 3) For Spousal Support: change in income of one or both parties, the increased need of obligee or the lack of reasonable efforts by obligee to become self-supporting.

Why Hire Us?

The Winning Edge - Have a Team Working For You

There are a lot of family law attorneys in Oregon, but we offer something that many other attorneys can’t.

Our entire family law team, including lawyers and paralegals, meet regularly to review our new clients’ cases and the important developments in ongoing cases. We discuss what different Judges are ordering for support and custody, analyze what the newest Court of Appeals decision may mean to your situation, and sometimes debate how to best deal with opposing counsel. Collaboration, second and third opinions, shared knowledge, brainstorming innovative solutions. It’s something not every attorney can offer.

You aren’t just hiring an attorney. You’re hiring a team.

Call 503-648-4777 to get your case on our next team meeting schedule.

Acting In The Child's Best Interest

The modification of parenting time does not require a showing of a substantial, unanticipated change in circumstances. All that is required is for the moving party to show that the modification would be in the child's best interests. Oregon stipulates that the court "...shall recognize the value of close contact with both parents and encourage, when practicable, joint responsibility for the welfare of such children and extensive contact between the minor children of the divided marriage and the parties

Requesting A Modification - Spousal Support & Parenting Time

Generally, the party that wants a modification must file a motion and supporting affidavit with the court where the last judgment was entered. The exception to this requirement is if the support award is being managed by the Oregon Child Support Program, a party can apply to the state to modify.

Speak with experienced, trusted, highly rated, and qualified Oregon Divorce Attorneys by calling 503-648-4777 Today.

Copyright © Harris Velázquez Gibbens | Legal Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Follow us on Google+ | Website by Dan Gilroy Design

Harris Velázquez Gibbens Attorneys at Law is an assumed business name of Harris Law Firm, PC. An Oregon professional corporation.