Each year, millions of Americans suffer injuries in all types of accidents. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 97.9 million people visit the emergency department for unintentional injuries each year. On average, 173,040 people die from accidents in the U.S. annually.
Many of these accidents are just bad luck. But in some cases, a person was seriously injured due to the carelessness or intentional behavior of someone else. In these situations, an injury victim can file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party to recover compensation for their injuries.
Through a personal injury claim, you may be able to recover compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and more. If you have been hurt in an accident, our Hillsboro, Oregon personal injury lawyers can help. We offer free initial consultations for all prospective clients and handle all personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis – which means that you pay nothing upfront for our services.
What Types of Cases Do We Handle?
Based in Hillsboro, our law offices represent clients in Washington County and the greater Portland area. We also help accident victims throughout Oregon, including Yamhill, Columbia, Marion, Tillamook, and Clatsop Counties.
Our team helps people who have been injured in all types of accidents. Our personal injury practice areas include:
- Car accidents
- Dog bites
- Slip and fall (premises liability)
- Motorcycle accidents
- Wrongful death
- Truck crashes
- Bicycle collisions
- Pedestrian accidents
For each case, we work hard to help our clients get the money that they deserve for their injuries. We start by listening to your story during a free consultation. If you decide to hire our law firm, we will get to work immediately, investigating your case, researching Oregon law, and reaching out to the insurance company to negotiate a settlement. If the insurer refuses to offer you the money that you deserve, we’ll take your case to court and ask a jury to find it in your favor.
Getting Compensation for Your Injuries
Personal injury cases are typically based on a theory of negligence, which is the failure to use the care that a reasonable person would in a similar situation. If you can prove that the other party (defendant) was negligent in some way, then you will be entitled to financial compensation for your losses. For example, if another driver rear ends your vehicle while texting and driving, their distracted driving would be considered negligent behavior.
Through an Oregon personal injury claim, you may be able to recover three types of damages: economic, non-economic, and punitive damages. Typically, punitive damages are only available in cases where the defendant acted recklessly or intentionally, such as a drunk driving accident. That is because punitive damages are meant to punish a wrongdoer, rather than compensate you for your losses.
Economic damages cover direct financial losses, such as:
- Medical bills;
- Future medical treatment;
- Property damage;
- Lost wages;
- Reduced earning capacity; and
- Adaptations to your home or vehicle.
Noneconomic damages are designed to compensate you for intangible losses like:
- Pain and suffering;
- Loss of enjoyment of life; and
- Emotional trauma.
For wrongful death cases, noneconomic damages are limited to $500,000. In a recent Oregon Supreme Court ruling, this damage cap was found to be unconstitutional as applied to any other type of personal injury claim. As a result, there is no limit on the number of noneconomic damages that an injury victim (plaintiff) can recover under Oregon law.
How Our Attorneys Can Help
There are a lot of personal injury lawyers you can hire. But we offer a service that many other attorneys can’t: A TEAM.
Every week, our team of Hillsboro personal injury attorneys and paralegals meets to review our new cases and important developments in our current cases. Your lawyer will present your case to their colleagues. Together, we will discuss what insurance companies are offering in similar cases, how different insurance adjusters negotiate cases, and what judges and juries are doing in cases similar to yours. Each case – including yours – will be presented and reviewed by our team multiple times.
When you work with our law office, you aren’t just hiring a single attorney. You’re hiring a winning team. Our law firm gives you something that most cannot: the winning edge.
We know that being in an accident can be incredibly traumatic. Our lawyers treat each of our clients with compassion, knowing that this is a difficult time. We pride ourselves on being approachable and keeping our clients updated about their claims through regular communication.
Serious accidents and injuries don’t just cause temporary physical pain. They can cause a lifetime of suffering, mental anguish, lost income, and expenses. These types of accidents can also be a terrible hardship on family members left to care for the injured person.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident or a loved one has died in an accident, then you need to know our commitment to you: No case is settled until it is settled right. Our Hillsboro, OR personal injury attorneys are committed to making sure that you get top dollar for your claim, through settlement or a verdict at trial.
Our Case Results
Our team approach has allowed us to achieve great outcomes for our clients. With our combined knowledge of Oregon law and trial experience, we have helped our clients recover maximum compensation for their injuries.
While each case is unique and results aren’t guaranteed, our “wins” include the following:
- Seven-figure settlement:
- A collision of two semi-trucks caused one to careen into a car causing catastrophic injuries. Received seven-figure result for clients after battling for almost three years. (Confidential Settlement)
- Semi-truck and passenger in car:
- Passenger in car hit by semi-truck. Seven-figure settlement.
- Seven-figure settlement involving complex litigation of multiple defendants.
- Our client suffered a head-on collision, catastrophic injuries, and a contemporary workers’ compensation claim.
- Seven-figure settlement:
- Client spoke primarily Spanish. Vehicle and semi-truck collision caused significant damages resulting in seven-figure settlement.
- Pedestrian Hit by car.
- Pedestrian client suffered significant orthopedic injuries and required rehabilitation when hit by a car. We recovered $450,000 for injuries.
- $200,000 For Bicyclist client:
- Bicyclist had significant orthopedic injuries and required rehabilitation due to collision with an automobile. Recovered $200,000.
- Client bit by dog:
- Our client suffered injuries to heel and partial Achilles tear while jogging. Resolved for $100,000.
- Pedestrian Semi Truck accident/ Brain Damage:
- Client was a pedestrian struck by a semi-truck as he crossed the street, causing permanent brain injury and other damages requiring rehabilitation. Seven-figure confidential settlement.
- Neck and Back Injury:
- $200,000 Client was rear-ended by another driver. Significant neck and back injury requiring surgery. Resolved for $200,000. Client also had a contemporaneous Worker’s Compensation claim that we were able to resolve.
- Vertigo and Tinnitus injury and Workers Comp Claim:
- Our client was hit from behind in his car which caused tinnitus and vertigo. $250,000 settlement.. Client also had a contemporaneous workers’ compensation claim that we handled.
- $280,000 pedestrian/vehicle and workers comp claim:
- A motor vehicle accident caused labral tear in the hip along with surgery and later a hip replacement. Client also had a contemporaneous worker’s compensation claim.
- Slip and Fall:
- An elderly client fell because of negligence during a home remodel project suffering significant orthopedic injuries and requiring rehabilitation. Settled for $90,000.
When Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you have suffered an injury in an accident, you should reach out to a personal injury attorney in Hillsboro, OR as soon as possible. Even if the insurance adjuster tells you that they accept responsibility or offer you a settlement, it’s a good idea to talk to a lawyer.
Remember: insurance companies are in business to make money, not to make sure you get the most money for your injuries. Studies show that people who are represented by lawyers recover as much as 40% more in settlements than people who represent themselves. Don’t hesitate – call our law firm today at 503-483-8896 to schedule a free consultation about your claim.
I Was Partially at Fault for the Accident. Can I Still File a Claim?
Probably. Oregon follows a legal rule known as modified comparative negligence. As long as you are 50% or less to blame for an accident, you can recover compensation for your injuries. Your total recovery will then be reduced by the percentage that you were at fault.
These types of cases are often more complicated than other personal injury lawsuits. A Hillsboro personal injury lawyer can advocate for your right to maximum compensation, using their knowledge of Oregon law to ensure that you get the money that you deserve. Reach out today at 503-483-8896 to talk to a member of our team about your case.
Is It Worth Getting a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Yes. Insurance companies are hugely profitable for a reason. They make money by denying or minimizing legitimate claims. While this may be good news for their shareholders, if you are an injury victim, it means that you won’t get enough compensation to cover all of your losses.
The best way to level the playing field against major corporations like Allstate, GEICO, and State Farm is to hire an experienced Hillsboro personal injury law firm. With our help, you will get a settlement or verdict at trial that allows you to move forward with your life after an accident. If you have questions or want to learn more about your rights, give our law office a call at 503-483-8896 for a free consultation.
Hurt in an Accident? We Can Help.
After being hurt in an accident, you may be overwhelmed with physical pain, emotional trauma, and mounting financial difficulties. You may not know what your rights are, or how to get money for your losses. Our law firm is here for you.
At Harris Velázquez Gibbens, you’re more than just a number to us – you’re a person. We will work collaboratively with you to help you achieve the best possible outcome, and won’t charge a fee unless we recover money for you. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation with a Hillsboro, OR personal injury attorney, give us a call at 503-483-8896 or fill out our online contact form.